Learn Why World’s Top Businesses, Universities, Colleges and Public Sector Organizations are Adopting Shibboleth.
- Shibboleth is the most widely-deployed, open source implementation of SAML and CAS Single Sign-On (SSO) federated identity and access management security middleware.
- Shibboleth has been around for over 15+ years, and was originally developed by the United States National Science Foundation and Internet2.
- Shibboleth plugs into existing enterprise identity management and authentication systems such as Active Directory, CAS, LDAP, SQL, NTLM, Kerberos, SPNEGO, and others. This lowers the barriers to adoption.
- Shibboleth is a robust PKI trust based IT security middleware. It has been reviewed and tested for more than 15+ years by organizations and experts from around the world. It is not a black box technology that is solely dependent on any one single vendor.
- Shibboleth provides sso login authentication and access security for applications (Service Providers or SP) as well as Users. One single login password for each user gives the user access to all apps without sharing user credentials with the apps (or the app vendors).
- Shibboleth inter-operates with other 3rd party SSO middleware such as Microsoft ADFS. So customers are able to deploy end-2-end federated SSO that works across all enterprise Apps.
- Shibboleth is the most complete SAML CAS SSO security middleware in the market and inter-operates with thousands of enterprise and campus applications.
- Shibboleth does not require any user-training or installation of any software on user’s desktop. One Shibboleth is deployed, everything works as before except users input their passwords only once while accessing different applications. So great U/X for end-users.
- Shibboleth is widely adopted in markets such as Public Sector, Telecom, Healthcare, Higher Education, K-12, Finance, Insurance, Automotive, Retail, E-Commerce, and others.
- Shibboleth has been commercially supported by 9STAR for over 15+ years. 9STAR provides enterprise-grade, Shibboleth solutions, support and services to IAM & SSO customers worldwide.
Here is how a leading CIO at a major University recently summed up why Higher-Education and Public Sector IT Departments should adopt Shibboleth over any other alternative?
NO commercial (non-Shibboleth) product supports EDU identity federation frameworks. I know some campuses that have walked away from the Ellucian and other competitive products because, while they support SAML, they do NOT support SAML as used with the worldwide higher education community. With fifteen years of experience with SAML, the Higher Ed community has developed a set of “deployable practices” that go beyond the basic protocol and significantly simplify the process of managing the use of SAML.